Words Students Confuse - According to and accordingly

ScottsEnglishScottsEnglish Administrator Posts: 1,296 admin ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Grammar

What is the difference between "according to" and "accordingly"?

We here at Scott's English Success recently received the following sentences in writing samples.

Accordingly
, some people believe that many of the issues we face today would not exist if schools educated students about them. 

Accordingly, managers believe that even in the future, people will go to their offices to work.

Both use the word "accordingly" incorrectly!

Accordingly is an adverb, and never begins a sentence. It means "in this way, following rules".

For example, "The boss told me how to do the project, and I acted accordingly." Or, "We received the new instructions yesterday, so now we have to change the plans accordingly.

According to means "following" (similar meaning to accordingly) but it can begin a sentence and is usually followed by a noun or a noun phrase.

Examples, "According to the memo we have just received, all employees must now park in the company's parking lot." "The police statement says that, according to the witness's report, the accident was caused by one driver's speeding."

Choose the right word for the following sentences.

1. The chess player watched his opponent's move and responded ____________________.

2. _____________________ the professor, none of the students were able to finish the experiment correctly.

3. We are building the sofa ____________________ the instructions provided.

4. Jamie is a market analyst, so I would listen to her advice and invest _______________________.

5. The pink paint colour for the walls is too bright, _____________________ everyone who has visited the house.

Click here for the correct answers.

1. The chess player watched his opponent's move and responded accordingly.
2. According to the professor, none of the students were able to finish the experiment correctly.
3. We are building the sofa according to the instructions provided.
4. Jamie is a market analyst, so I would listen to her advice and invest accordingly.
5. The pink paint colour for the walls is too bright, according to everyone who has visited the house.

Tagged: