TOEFL iBT: combined content
The TOEFL testing systemThe TOEFL test uses a testing system known as "combined content" or "integrated content" in its exam. For example, you may be asked to
- Read a passage, listen to a section, and then respond orally to a question
- Listen to a section, and then respond orally to a question
- Read a passage, listen to a section, and then write a response to a question
How can you prepare for this type of exam?
1. When you do a reading or a listening exercise, try to summarize it out loud, or simply state the main points.
2. Use the Internet to find an article about a topic, and then a discussion about the same topic. Then speak (to a friend, to a teacher or simply to a mirror) about the topic.
3. Read widely in English. Listen to the news in English. Be able talk about current events and social trends.
Use these tips to help you have TOEFL success!