Options

IELTS Academic Task 1: Practice question

ScottsEnglishScottsEnglish Administrator Posts: 1,296 admin ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2016 in IELTS Test
A student asked me for an example of how to begin the following IELTS Task 1 question:

Sometimes dividing up the question into sections and trying to paraphrase can help make the task a little more manageable.  Something like this B):

Original

Paraphrase

The table below shows

The table shows

the number of visitors to Ashdown Museum

guest numbers to Ashdown Museum

during the year before and the year after it was refurbished.

a year before and a year after renovations.

The charts show the result of surveys asking visitors how satisfied they were with their visit,

The pie charts reveal visitor satisfaction survey results.

during the same two periods.

The information covers the same two timeframes.

I recommend a 4-paragraph answer for this question:

Paragraph 1: Introduction (above)
Paragraph 2: A summary of the table
Paragraph 3: Description of the pie charts
Paragraph 4: A summary statement

When you have tried to write your own answer, compare it with my sample below:

The table shows visitor numbers to Ashdown Museum a year before and a year after renovations.  The pie charts reveal visitor satisfaction survey results.  The information covers the same two timeframes.

The table provides information about the total number of people who visited the museum.  It can be seen that there were 74,000 during the period of renovation however, after renovations were completed, the number rose significantly to 92,000.

In relation to guest satisfaction surveys,  the ‘before’ chart shows that half of the guests who visited the museum were either ‘Dissatisfied’ or ‘Very dissatisfied’ – 40% and 10% respectively.  Just under half of the guests were either ‘Very satisfied’ (15%) or ‘Satisfied’ (30%).  Only 5% chose not to respond.  In contrast, a year after refurbishment, satisfaction levels improved markedly – 35% were ‘Very satisfied’ and 40% were ‘Satisfied’.  As a result, dissatisfaction levels fell – 15% were ‘Dissatisfied’ and only 5% were ‘Very dissatisfied’.  As with the ‘before’ graph, 5% did not respond to the survey.

In summary, both visitor numbers and satisfaction levels increased after refurbishment.

(174 words)