Options

IELTS TOEFL TOEIC Grammar: Apart from vs A part of

ScottsEnglishScottsEnglish Administrator Posts: 1,296 admin ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in Grammar

What's the difference between 'apart from' and 'a part of'?

I recently read the following sentence in a student's essay:
A part from the cheaper price, there is nothing much I like about the new initiative.
What's wrong here?  

The problem is in the misuse of the words 'A part'.

The problem is a part means 'a piece of something'.  It is used incorrectly in this example.  It should be:
Apart from the cheaper price, there is nothing much I like about the new initiative.

Notice how in the second example, the word 'A part' was changed to 'Apart'?  

Apart from is the correct use in this example.  Apart from means 'except for' or 'not including'.  So the above sentence could be written this way:

Except for the cheaper price, there is nothing much I like about the new initiative. 

OR

Not including the cheaper price, there is nothing much I like about the new initiative.

Let's have a look at two more examples for a part:

• After three weeks of working for this company, I really feel a part of the team = I feel like I am a 'piece' of the team, I belong to the team.
  • A part of my excitement with the online course is it's reasonably priced = A 'piece' of my excitement is the price. This sentence implies that he/she is excited about other things (eg: the course is fun, it's easily accessible, etc.)

Now, let's have a look at two examples for apart:

• Apart from the work he does over the weekend, his job seems like a good one = his job is good except for the (need for) weekend work.
  • Apart from writing, my English is quite good = not including writing, his/her English is quite good.

Now, try these:

1. "_____ the colour scheme, the new company logo looks quite good."

A. Apart from
B. A part from

2. "John's been with us since the beginning of our company, he's _____  our success."

A. apart of
B. a part of

3. From 1999 to 2009, the large coal imports were _____  Consolidated Mining's success."

A. apart of
B. a part of

Post your answers in the comments box below.

Tagged: