How to answer the TOEFL Speaking Section 2
How should you prepare and answer the TOEFL Speaking, Section 2?The instructions for this speaking exercise are:
In this part you have to speak for 45 seconds about a choice. You will be presented with two situations or opinions. You'll be asked which you prefer and you need to explain your choice.
Look at the topic below for 15 seconds. You may make notes if you wish
Some people think they work better when they are with other people. Others think they are work better when they are alone. What is your opinion? Explain why.
- Formulate an answer. You only have 15 seconds, so write down the first choice that comes to you.
- Write down some key words to prove your point. You do not have time to write out full sentences. Write down some key words that you can speak about. You are allowed to give examples for both choices.
- Speak as clearly as possible. Pronounce every word and leave some space after each sentence. Avoid fillers such as 'uh, uhm, like, you know' which do not convey any meaning.
- You will need about 10 sentences in order to speak for 45 seconds.
Here are some ideas:
- Work better with others - social, can exchange ideas
- People encourage each other
- Different people, different strengths and weaknesses
- Work better alone - set own schedule
- Focus - no one talking to you
- No need to wait for other people or explain
- No personal problems - disagreements
Use the exercises on answers.scottsenglish.com to help you! Perhaps start here