Lose vs Loose

ScottsEnglishScottsEnglish Administrator Posts: 1,296 admin ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Vocabulary

How can you remember the difference between lose and loose?

When I was in Primary/Grade school, my teacher told me something which I never forgot and it helped me to remember the difference between lose and loose.

Here is how you can remember: think of your favourite shoes that have shoelaces.  Okay?  Now, remember when you first learned to tie your shoelaces you had to make two loops or bows?

Well, think of those two loops as two letter 'O's'. Now, if you don't tie your shoe laces properly, they become LOOSE. The two 'O's' will help you to remember loose shoelaces.  

So the next time you see LOOSE, remember the two loops in your loose shoelaces. I have never forgotten the difference between loose and lose - and I hope you always remember, too!

Also, remember that lose is a verb. You can lose a game, lose your keys. Its forms are lose lost lost.
Loose is an adjective. It modifies a noun. The handle might be loose, you have something loose that you need to tighten.

Now for some practice.  Choose the correct word to complete the sentences below:

1. This morning my sister tripped and fell on her _____ shoelaces.

A. loose
B. lose

2. I hope I never _____ my sense of humour.

A. loose
B. lose

3. If a student takes time off studies, he/she might _____ interest in studying all together. 

A. loose
B. lose

For further information about this, go here.

Comments

• ScottsEnglishScottsEnglish Administrator Posts: 1,296 admin ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    When you have answered the questions above, click 'show' to reveal the correct answers.

1. This morning my sister tripped and fell on her loose shoelaces.
    2. I hope I never lose my sense of humour.
    3. If a student takes time off studies, he/she might lose interest in studying all together.