Cambridge Writing Task 1 - Essay

ScottsEnglishScottsEnglish Administrator Posts: 1,296 admin ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2019 in Cambridge B2 Exams

The Cambridge English Certification requires written work from the student. Following is a sample question and a sample answer. (Usually, answers are between 150 - 200 words)

1. In your English class you have been talking about fantasy and reality. Your English teacher has asked you to write an essay on this topic.

Many books and films are made about fantasy topics. In your opinion, why is fantasy so interesting?

Notes:

Write about:

1. Examples of fantasy books or films, and why people like them.

2. Fantasy and reality

3. ............................ (your own idea)

Click here for a sample answer.

Fantasy movies are very popular today. There are comic books that have become movies, but also television series. There are also books such as The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter which are very popular. I think people like fantasy stories because they are a way to escape the problems of day to day life. We all dream of having magic powers and being able to stop bad things from happening because of our powers.

Fantasy films all have reality in them. For example, the heroes and villains live in the real world, even if they come from another world to our planet. They have costumes and powers which are not real, but which could be real. For example, super strength is a part of strength, or flying like we see the birds fly, or being invisible because we know that many things are invisible to our eyes.

My favorite fantasy characters are superheroes. I like comic book characters because I like the pictures and the stories move fast. Usually the stories are easy to read, too, and it is clear who the heroes and who the bad people are. I go to the films, too, and I have not been too disappointed with the films of my favorite superheroes.

Click here for another exercise.