Top IELTS Myths!

ScottsEnglishScottsEnglish Administrator Posts: 1,296 admin ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2017 in IELTS Test

There are a number of ideas 'floating around' about IELTS which, we are happy to tell you, are NOT correct!

Myth #1: If you sit the test in another location, you will get a higher score.

This is not correct.  All test centres are checked to make sure that they have the same standards.  It's a good idea to visit the test centre before you sit the test.

Myth #2: In the writing test, if you write more words you will get a higher score.

This is not correct.  In fact, if you write more words than required (150 words for Task 1 and 250 words for Task 2) you may end up getting a lower score due to making more errors!  Make sure, however, that you write at least the minimum number of words.

Myth #3: If I don't speak with a British or American accent, I'll get a lower score.

As long as your pronunciation can be understood, it doesn't matter what 'accent' you speak with.  Your accent only becomes a problem if it stops the examiner from being able to understand what you are saying.

Myth #4: There are some 'tricks' I can learn which will help me get a high score.

The IELTS will test your English ability.  There are only two ways to improve your chances of getting a good score:

1. Be familiar with the test format (e.g., question types and timing)
2. Have a high level of English proficiency.

Myth #5: I should study only IELTS to achieve a high score.

Your general English ability must be high in order to achieve a high score.  Yes, it's important to have a thorough understanding of the test structure and question types but this cannot replace the importance of having a good overall English ability.  Make sure you get a balance of learning the test (www.scottsenglish.com) and improving your English (www.scottsenglishplus.comB).

Myth #6: Some examiners give higher scores than others.

IELTS is scored according to strict standards.  This means that it doesn't matter which examiner you have, your score will be the same.  It's true that some examiners may be friendlier than others, but, in the end, the score you receive will be the same - no matter which examiner you speak to.

Myth #7: I should use long, complex words to achieve a high score.

If you can use complex, 'difficult' words in your writing and speaking that's fine...but make sure you're using them in the correct context.  If you use hard words (e.g., pusillanimous   B) ),  then you had better be sure that you are using them suitably otherwise you may end up 'shooting yourself in the foot'.

Tagged: